panel item remove confirmation

Pasi Orovuo pasi.ov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 13:38:27 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 01:04:28PM +0200, Fabian Nowak wrote:
> Am Montag, den 17.10.2005, 01:54 -0700 schrieb Brian J. Tarricone:
> >
> > Do you *really* add and remove plugins from the panel so often that a
> > dialog is that annoying?  If so, I'm sure you're in the small minority.
>
> as above, yes when developing or improving or porting plugins.

This is an argument that holds no value from the user's standpoint.

One thing regarding usability is, that the user interface should prevent
- or at least discourage - the user of making a mistake in the first
place. Differentiating the items more clearly would probably be the way
to go, but I can't think of a nice way of doing it. So, the confirmation
dialog would be acting as a sort of "wtf are you doing?" wakeup call for
most _users_ as - I'd guess - they are not adding and removing panel
items that often.

If a developer has difficulties coping with this, he probably just
should pay more attention on his actions, or just patch the panel for
himself. :)

-Pasi