panel item remove confirmation

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Mon Oct 17 13:04:28 CEST 2005

Am Montag, den 17.10.2005, 01:54 -0700 schrieb Brian J. Tarricone:

> Fabian Nowak wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, den 16.10.2005, 23:47 -0700 schrieb Brian J. Tarricone:
> >>
> >>Jasper,
> >>
> >>I'd strongly suggest putting back the "Are you sure?" dialog when
> >>removing a plugin.  In the past week I've removed plugins accidentally
> >>several times by missing the Properties item and hitting Remove by accident.
> >

> > the point is that you will also click on the ok button in this dialog if
> > you accidentally clicked onto "remove panel", just because of being used
> > to this dialog.
>
> That's certainly your opinion, but I don't think so.  If I click
> something by accident, I usually realise it instantly as I click on it.
>  Without the dialog, it's too late; with the dialog, I can cancel my
> mistaken action.
>
> > this is what happened already several times to me and
> > AFAIK jasper, too.
> > having the dialog removed already prevented me two times from removing
> > the panel accidentaly as the dialog comes unexpected and therefor i read
> > it.
>
> This really doesn't make sense to me.  It sounds like you're just being
> too hasty.

yes, i am. but others are, too. especially when you're porting plugins,
developing new ones or such work - "remove" and "remove" doesn't differ
too much when you're just searching for "remove".

> > but restoring one's old panel is much more work than restoring a simple
> > plugin, since sensors-plugin is configured in 15-30 seconds and even the
> > mailwatch-plugin is so straight forward that you won't probably take
> > more than 2 minutes for 4 accounts, at least that's what it took me.
>
> Um, and you think 2 minutes is an acceptable amount of time to recover
> from a clear dataloss scenario?  I don't.  And two minutes is pretty
> optimistic, especially if you want to set multiple IMAP new mail folders
> on multiple accounts, as is the case with me.

2 minutes is ok, a panel config takes up to an hour. perhaps i'll just
create a backup of my panel config which i can restore then :-/

> > what about having a panel option "show remove confirmation on plugin
> > removal" which might be enabled by default, thus enabling me and perhaps
> > many others to not have this dialog.
>
> Do you *really* add and remove plugins from the panel so often that a
> dialog is that annoying?  If so, I'm sure you're in the small minority.

as above, yes when developing or improving or porting plugins.

>  A pref here is bloat.  IMO the dialog should come back and there should
> be no pref for it.

have an option in panel.xml then.

> Perhaps someone with some actual HCI design credentials would like to
> weigh in on this issue (Erik, I'm looking at you).

well, that's just me. sorry *g*

"make similar things similiar. and unsimilar things unsimilar."
this is what's being hurt when having two very similar dialogs for very
different actions.

very different images showing an example panel or an example plugin in
the dialog would help improve this.

another hci guideline is to code further information, i.e. if you have
those two "remove" entries, one should be blue and the other gree, e.g.
of course, nonone wants green and blue and ... menus.

another idea might be to differnetiate between removing a panel item and
deleting the whole panel in the menu, thus distinguishing more.

fabian