Swedish translation

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:02:28 CEST 2005

On 10/5/05, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Please don't reply to me directly.  The list is there for a reason.
> Anyway...

Ah, sorry. I just hit reply without checking where it was sending it,
though it seems like the Reply-To: header in your mail as it reached
me was missing. Shouldn't the mailing list add one if there aren't one
and modify the existing one if there is one?

> On 10/5/2005 1:22 PM, Alexander Toresson wrote:

> >>If you want to update the pot file, you'll need to download the full
> >>sources.  The po modules in SVN are there just for people to pull the
> >>translation files, and only the translation files.
> >
> > Well, but then there should be info about that in that file, something
> > like "to update the pot file, you have to get the full sources" and it
> > should say that that step is optional. Also, it should tell what a pot
> > file is.
>
> There's a translation guide floating around somewhere, probably linked
> from the website.  If it's not already in there, please, do submit a
> patch with the requested information.

It's at http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/documentation/docs-4.2/xfce-i18n.txt.
I'll submit a patch later today.

> > Anyway, a few other questions that has arisen after translating a few things:
> > * What's the definition of fuzzy? Does it mean that it's an incomplete
> > translation or that the translation ain't 100% accurate?
>
> It can mean a couple things.
>
> 1.  The previous translator wasn't sure about the translation, and
> marked it fuzzy for himself to come back to later.
>
> 2.  The original English text in the source file changed slightly, and
> 'make update-po' marked the translation fuzzy to remind the translator
> to check the original again to see if the translation needs to be modified.

Ah, thanks. Will add that info to the patch.

> > * Sometimes a string begins with /, for example msgstr
> > "/_Egenskaper...". I've seen this both in the msgid's and the
> > msgstr's. What does it mean?
>
> It's probably a menu path specification that's fed to GtkIconFactory.
> You should maintain the slash as it is.  The source file where this
> appears is clearly marked in the .po file; you could have taken a look
> to try to figure it out.

Well, I don't know a thing about how to use gtk in C, but I'll take a look.

Regards, Alexander Toresson