xfce4-terminal in svn

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Fri Nov 18 05:16:03 CET 2005

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 11/17/05, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>
>>I was about to ask why the xfce4-terminal code in svn is not up-to date
>>when I realized it is actually different from the one from Benny.
>>Is the current one the 'official' xfce terminal? I found the out-of-tree
>>one a bit better.
>

> I'm gonna answer this here, for simplicity's sake, so that the answer
> is recorded in the archives of the list.
>
> What people may not be aware of is that Jani is taking care of the
> Xubuntu project, which is to Xfce what Ubunutu is to Gnome. I think
> that for some new devs and for distro/package maintainers the SVN
> policy for Xfce may be slightly confusing.
>
> Just because a project has code in the SVN tree for Xfce does not make
> it an "official" or "core" project. We decided some time ago to move
> most third party projects into the Xfce SVN tree. The goal was to
> provide a one stop shop for Xfce software, the desktop and otherwise,
> and also consolidate development (which outside of panel plugins is
> relatively small).
>
> Thus, as a distro maintainer, you don't have to package everything in
> the tree, nor can you expect everything in the tree to be "official"
> or even maintained.

Another way of saying the same thing is: We don't provide policy, only
mechanism.

At 4.4 we are likely to have 2 filemanagers, 3 backdrop managers and 2
terminals. Not all of them will be in the Xfce Release packages, but
that doesn't dimish their utility in any way.

There are also very few cross-dependencies within Xfce. For example, you
don't need Xfwm4 to run the panel or vice versa.

Depending on what *you* as a distro maker want to achieve, you can pick
and choose what modules you want to install, which modules you want to
run by default and which ones you want to substitute with something else.

-- b