xfce4-terminal in svn

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 19:03:31 CET 2005

On 11/17/05, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I was about to ask why the xfce4-terminal code in svn is not up-to date
> when I realized it is actually different from the one from Benny.
> Is the current one the 'official' xfce terminal? I found the out-of-tree
> one a bit better.

I'm gonna answer this here, for simplicity's sake, so that the answer
is recorded in the archives of the list.

What people may not be aware of is that Jani is taking care of the
Xubuntu project, which is to Xfce what Ubunutu is to Gnome. I think
that for some new devs and for distro/package maintainers the SVN
policy for Xfce may be slightly confusing.

Just because a project has code in the SVN tree for Xfce does not make
it an "official" or "core" project. We decided some time ago to move
most third party projects into the Xfce SVN tree. The goal was to
provide a one stop shop for Xfce software, the desktop and otherwise,
and also consolidate development (which outside of panel plugins is
relatively small).

Thus, as a distro maintainer, you don't have to package everything in
the tree, nor can you expect everything in the tree to be "official"
or even maintained.

> thanks
> Jani

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."