windows below panel

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 19:51:59 CET 2005

On 11/9/05, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:

> > That's not true. The WM will prevent you from moving a window completely
> > off screen or so that it becomes unreachable beyond struts.
> I am not saying completely off the screen, but parts of it under the panel.
>
> > What you describe is the behavior of the panel in 4.0, where it was not
> > using struts because it was freely movable (by definition, struts can't
> > be used with freely movable windows).
>
> 4.2 and 4.3 panels have the behavior I describe.
>
> > You can try, in Xfce 4.2, move a window under the panel, it won't
> > disappear beyond the panel because the WM will prevent it.
>
> It does not disappear but can be partially covered.
>
> BTW the way I'd like the panel to work is like xftaskbar4 in 4.2 does.
> Indeed under the taskbar I cannot slip a window. But the panel does not
> act like the taskbar, as a 'screen border' so to speek.
>
> I am afraid my wording is unclear and we are talking about different
> issues. So to sum up: I wish the panel behaved by default as the
> xftaskbar4 does in 4.2, i.e border of screen, otherwise maximizing or
> moving windows around can lead to a situation like the browser status
> bar being covered.

The taskbar and the panel does behave the same. The difference you see
comes from the taskbar being placed at the top of the screen and the
panel being placed at the bottom.

If you place the taskbar at the bottom and the panel at the top, this
will be reversed. This would also be reversed if you hacked the window
manager to put titles at the bottom of the windows.

Regards, Alexander Toresson