New panel in trunk

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 00:26:37 CET 2005

On 11/8/05, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yeah, I can understand some confusion when presented with a new way of
> > doing things, but that doesn't automatically mean the new way is bad.
> > It's a nice, simple, clean UI.
>
> It is not confusion just a bit of disappointment.
>
> The other was simpler for me, hence my comment.
>
> 4.2 way:
>
> move over icon
> right click
> move over 'remove text'
> left click
>
> 4 steps, all close to each other and consistent with other similar
> actions (delete mail from folder, file from filelist etc)
>
> 4.3 way:
>
> mover over icon
> right click
> move over 'customize panel'
> left click
>
> move slightly back over the icon as the cursor is now a bit right and be
> careful which icon you select as now they are all dimmed unlike when the
> mouse hovers over them in normal mode.
>
> click
> drag
> drop
>

> 4 extra steps which imply a lot of (relative to 4.2) mouse movement

It's true. It's a longer pipeline for what (should) be the almost
least common action in the panel (I think last place is reserved for
deleting a panel).

> I would call the old way much cleaner and simpler. Nicer I don't know,
> DnD has it's charm, but I prefer clean and simple vs nice then.
> Also I have not seen yet other GUIs which handle removal like this

The Firefox toolbar?

What really concerns me is that people apparantly add and remove
plugins far more often than I do, or would anticpate any reason to.
Hmmmmm . . . .

(it
> may be me though). With dragging in the plugin list I sort of expect the
> removed item to get inserted in that list - even though it is there and
> I know it won't happen.
>
> So while I can use it and understand it because it _is_ simple it is not
> intuitive.
>

> >>and the
> >>impossibility of moving plugin icons around as in the 4.2 panel.
> >

> > Drag them around.
> >

> Hmm, I cannot seem to do that. If a click and drag nothing happens, the
> mouse stops highlighting other plugins if I move over them, so the
> original one retains the focus but it does not drag.
>
> I think the gnome panel has this in the context menu too.Select move and
> then even w/o keeping the mouse pressed the plugin follows the horiz
> movement of the mouse.
>

> >>The
> >>current add/remove via drag-n-drop seems too convoluted to me but OTOH I
> >>know this is not what people should do too often.
> >

> > Convoluted?  Seriously?
>
> Yes, relative to the 4.2 way.
>

> >>If it's not too much
> >>to ask could this be considered as a per/panel config option?
> >

> > Eeeew.  Up to Jasper, of course, but that sounds ickier than just adding
> > Add/Remove items back in the menu.
>
> Well it seems not everybody liked add/remove in 4.2 so having a config
> would please both sides.

We're pretty anti option here, if it means toggling between two
possible ways to do the same thing.

> >>I like the idea of having the taskbar as a plugin. Is that still planned
> >>for iconbox too? If so will the two standalone apps be still shipped
> >>with 4.4?
> >

> > No, taskbar and iconbox will not be present as separate applications.  I
> > thought the iconbox had already been ported as a panel plugin.  I seem
> > to remember one of the default panel configs had it in there...
>
> that's great.
>
> thanks
> Jani

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."