show app icon in the title bar

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Tue Nov 1 09:19:48 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 01:01 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> If your definition of 'works' is 'unbearably slow, making the desktop
> unusable for normal tasks', then sure, it 'works'. ^_~

Yes, my definition of "works" fall in that case. Software rendering is
slow, that's no news, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

My feeling is that "nv" is faster than "nvidia" without render accel.

"nvidia" binary driver is proprietary, and until proven otherwize the
only common denominator between the crashes. So it's unfixable.

> Did you test those with the nvidia binary drivers?  I haven't yet, but I
> might go to the effort if you haven't.  Have you reproduced my 100% CPU
> issue?  You mentioned before that you weren't able to.  Note that I
> don't get a crash at all, just 100% CPU utilisation on the X process
> after 1-2 hours of xfwm4 runtime.  Restarting only xfwm4 fixes the
> problem for another 1-2 hours.

Yes, I have 2 computers with 2 NVidia cards, and both show the same
problem with NVidia proprietary drivers (I couldn't reproduce the
problem bacause I disable render accel because it's too unstable)

You may want to take a look at NVidia forums here

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

Next version are said to be usable (as usual), but I doubt it.

The only driver that worked was 6629. Anything after crash (and by
crash, I mean 100% CPU utilization)

> > Sorry, but either revert to "nv" open source driver, disable render
> > accel or turn off the compositor. BTW, I'm pretty sure the problem is
> > not with my code unless proven otherwise.
>
> That's unfortunate, since it's mostly impossible to prove it either way.
>  Pretty much anything I can say (such as, "it works ok with SVN revision
> X, but not with Y"), you can just say "well I guess I'm just exposing a
> bug in nvidia's drivers".  *sigh*  Ah well; it's a shame to have to
> disable the compositor, but that's really the only option open.  Perhaps
> 'nv' will perform better in 6.7.0.

Well, by sticking to factgs, here is what we have:

* KDE with compositing enabled show the same symptoms. Can't even log
in, the system freeezes while displaying the splash screen.

* xcompmgr crashes. More subtly though, need to move/resize windows with
shadows enabled.

* xfwm4 works w/out shadows enabled. The problem seems to come from the
shadow.

I've changed to code so that shadows get disabled by default.

Cheers,
Olivier.