Panel does not store config in 4.2.1

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Mar 17 16:33:58 CET 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>>I just experienced a rather critical bug in xfce4-panel 4.2.1. It looks
>>to me like the panel does not store its config properly on session
>>logout. A possible fix is attached below.
>
> Hmm, what was the actual situation? I'd like to know the real reason instead
> of patching things up. The panel should save all changes to
> contents.xml.active and on exit move this to the final contents.xml. If this
> doesn't happen correctly it could be that the panel crashed on shutdown.

Started Xfce 4.2.1, ran a few apps (made no changes to the panel),
logged out. On next login the panel was reset to the system default.
Only contents.xml.bak in the panel directory. The problem seems to be
that I did not modify the panel. It was reproducible, the files got
killed on session logout, but not if I killed the panel manually, that's
what brought me to write_final_panel_config().

> Do you have a contents.xml.active file still present?

Nope the panel deleted it.

> If we can't find the real cause and your patch works, we should do a release.
> I'd rather put in a call to write_panel_config () instead of duplicating it,
> though.

As said, just a 'possible patch'. It works for me and others who
upgraded to 4.2.1. I'm sure you'll come up with a better one. ;-)

So, will we do a quick'n'dirty xfce4-panel-4.2.1.1 release before more
people upgrade to 4.2.1 and complain about lost panel config?

> 	Jasper

greets,
Benedikt