Multibyte characters in Xffm (was Re: Xfce4-fm crashes)

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Thu Mar 17 15:37:21 CET 2005

El jue, 17-03-2005 a las 10:10 +0900, Daichi Kawahata escribió:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:06:21 -0600
> Edscott Wilson Garcia wrote:
>
> > > Okay, I'll try to install latest samba since system installed one
> > > is version 2.2.8a.2 and I don't have enough contract to upgrade
> > > 3.xx, but even on this version!? (I never run samba sever yet),
> > > it's somewhat
> >
> > You should be able to use the xffm-smb plugin with samba 2.2 with
> > no problem (except for issues relating to files with nonascii
> > characters).
>
> Is the following processes enough for providing samba service?
>
>     root   643735      1  0 11:47:46 ?   0:18 /usr/samba/bin/nmbd
>     root   644719      1  0 11:47:46 ?   0:00 /usr/samba/bin/smbd

For providing the samba service, yes. You should also edit the samba
server configuration file called smb.conf. In gentoo this is located
in /etc/samba, but in irix would probably be someplace
like /usr/local/samba/conf. You do not need to have these services
running if you already have a windows box on your network (xfsamba does
not need them, it uses the binaries smbclient and nmblookup).

> anyway, see attached screenshot (xffm-smb_plugin.png), please tell
> me whether it works...

ok. See below.

> > > problem that translated folder string against "SMB Network" doesn't
> > > appear at the bottom status correctly, turns unrecognizable
> > > character while others are being displayed properly.
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean. could you post a screen shot with
> > the problem?
>
> I sent screenshots and native encoded directory tree to you directory,
> take a look at that bottom status line, and if possible test whether
> attached directory names are displayed properly on your environment
> (charset is EUC-JP).

1-xffm-readable.png: looks ok.
2-xffm-unreadable.png: incorrect status line. Does this also happen with
tree elements beneath the roots?
3-xfce4-fm_multi_byte_normal: looks ok.
4-xfce4-fm_multi_byte_shroten: definitely wrong. The line should not be
shortened because it is not even long.
5-xffm-smb_plugin: looks ok.

I will test the attached directory names. I cannot see the japanese
characters, only little boxes with unicode bytes in them, but that
should be enough to correct the errors.

regards,

Edscott