Xfce4-dev-tools

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Mar 16 18:12:05 CET 2005

Robert Kurowski wrote:
> hi!

Hey Robert,

> I have http://www.xfce.org/~benny/trials/xfce4-dev-tools-4.3.0cvs.tar.gz
>
> I wanted to compile xfmedia from cvs and I while ./autogen.sh:
>
> 	[oldboy][16:38:33][/mnt/dane/devel_palace/xfmedia]
> 	$ ./autogen.sh
> 	tr: błędna sekwencja z backslashem na końcu łańcucha znaków
> 	[...]
>
> This message means there's bad backslash sequence at end of string.
> I looked into xdt-autogen source and I found:
>
> 	subdirs=`cat ${configure_file} | tr '\n\t\\' '   ' | sed -ne 's|.*AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(\[\{0,1\}\([[:alnum:]_ @/-]\{1,\}\).*|\1|p'`
>
> Something like this works well:
>
> 	subdirs=`cat ${configure_file} | tr '\n\t' '  ' | sed -ne 's|.*AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(\[\{0,1\}\([[:alnum:]_ @/-]\{1,\}\).*|\1|p'`

Sure it works, but it does not do what it should do. ;-)

Jasper already reported this problem with the GNU coreutils, tho the GNU
documentation tells that the above is correct. I tried to reproduce it
on espresso, but no luck. From the GNU coreutils tr(1) manpage (version
5.2.1):

[...]
SETs  are  specified  as  strings  of characters.  Most represent them-
selves.  Interpreted sequences are:

\NNN   character with octal value NNN (1 to 3 octal digits)

\\     backslash
[...]

This is equivalent to the behaviour of tr on Unix systems.

On the other hand, the problem could be bash itself, which expands \\ in
the backticks step. Can you try with '\\n\\t\\\\'?

greets,
Benedikt