Panel changes for 4.4

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Wed Mar 16 13:19:38 CET 2005

Hi all,

Sorry for the cross-post, I wasn't sure everyone would be on xfce4-dev.

As most of you may know, I'm planning to make some drastic changes to
the panel for Xfce 4.4. In fact the changes are so big that you could
speak of a redesign. To make sure that this design will work well also
for plugin writers (especially for them even), I'm hoping to get some
feedback on my initial thoughts about the subject.

I decided to use the excellent Xfce wiki facility for that -- I don't
even know who provides this for us, but thanks for that -- so anyone can
add comments.

Please, if you can spare some time, have a look at
http://www.myoo.de/xfce/index.php/Panel_Design and let me know what you
think, either here, or personal mail or on the wiki.

Since none of this has actually been coded yet feel free to shoot it
down completely and suggest alternative designs ;-)

I'm most interested in suggestions for the plugin API; the
implementation is of secondary concern.

Thanks,
	Jasper