[Xfce-i18n] Panel contents translations

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Mar 8 12:07:51 CET 2005

Daichi Kawahata wrote:
>>In general, this means that the panel installs only one contents.xml
>>file now, not one per language, which makes handling easier for
>>translators and developers.
>
> Thanks a lot that's a great advance for both sides ;) In this time,
> I want to write a side note for developers, if we decide to use PO file
> in which all translations will be done, sometimes string conflicts will
> be occurred need to be separated in translation, so I'm glad developers/
> you will take care of string usage in their/your programs if possible
> of course or translator will report that.
>
> In the following case, I want to have a different translation.
>
>     #: panel/icons.c:75 config/contents.xml.in.h:14
>     msgid "Terminal"
>
> Can you modify string more detailed for tooltip, like
>
>     #: panel/icons.c:75
>     msgid "Terminal"
>
>     # config/contents.xml.in.h:14
>     msgid "Run terminal"
>
> so the translator can translate each strings differently?

We should use the Q_() macro in such cases, see

http://www.xfce.org/documentation/api-4.2/libxfce4util/libxfce4util-Internationalisation.html#Q--CAPS

as thats the suggested way to apply a context to a translatable string.
For example, Jasper would use:

  Q_("icons|Terminal")

in panel/icons.c. The "...|" part of the string is automatically
stripped off. Translators don't need to include the "...|" part in the
translations.

greets,
Benedikt