xfdesktop future

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Wed Mar 2 06:34:44 CET 2005

edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> Why unfortunate? The web site you refer to just says it will be
> "alternative to Xffm". I think that's real cool. A little competition
> will really keep me on my toes. Plus, problems faced in the xffm
> development will also surface in thunar, and getting to know alternate
> solutions will benefit both file managers (or at least xffm). I'm
> probably too immersed in the xffm way to get too involved with thunar,
> but I will offer suggestions and use a siphon to suck out the good stuff
> that I never thought of to improve xffm (gracias GPL).

Thats a nice way of looking at competition. Very admirable of you.

> I'm pretty sure that Olivier has already ok'd the project as part of
> xfce, especially because the thunar page refers to ideas Olivier already
> expressed on this list. A very small, very basic filemanager.
>
> And really, Moe, doesn't thunar sound like lunar?

Yes it does. I never did like the name. I believe it's German for "Thor".

> I hope I don't piss Olivier off, but I'd rather see these announcements
> come from him, he is not only the one who has invested most time in the
> project, he is our general.

I don't think it's an annoucement. I don't think any decision has been
taken one way or the other. It is basically, as the website says, an
alternative file manager for xfce.

OTOH, you should be aware that thunar seems to be picking up some
momentum. A lot of the devs seem to prefer it's approach for the UI,
design and development process.

-- b