Planning for for 4.4 panel

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Thu Jun 30 16:04:56 CEST 2005

Richard Stellingwerff wrote:

>On 6/19/05, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>2) Out-of-process plugins. This should protect the panel from problems
>>   in plugins (mem-leaks and crashes).
>>

>I'm not sure if I understand what 'out-of-process' means. Does this
>mean each plugin will be it's own application, just like with
>gnome-panel? Because that's one of the things I *really* hate about
>the gnome-panel. Run a bunch of 'plugins' and your memory usage rises
>to incredible heights.
>
>I hope I'm wrong, but if not then I strongly discourage you to do this.
>
>Please don't bloat XFCE... :(

please, don't misinterpret design decisions based on your nightmares.
The new implementation of the panel will not "bloat" Xfce anymore than
plugins already do now (BTW plugins are bloat anyway).

The reason that panel plugins will have a separate process id is to
protect the panel from crashing when a panel plugin goes down. This is
really badly needed and increases stability. It does in no way increase
memory usage dramatically. What will happen in the new plugin
interpretation is that there is a larger separation of the memory
context of the plugin and the panel, but the common parts are still
shared and thus this change is relatively _low-impact_ when it comes to
memory size of plugins/panel. I doubt you will even notice the difference.

sofar