Planning for for 4.4 panel

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Jun 30 16:02:41 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 03:49:29PM +0200, Richard Stellingwerff wrote:
> On 6/19/05, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > 2) Out-of-process plugins. This should protect the panel from problems
> >    in plugins (mem-leaks and crashes).
>
> I'm not sure if I understand what 'out-of-process' means. Does this
> mean each plugin will be it's own application, just like with
> gnome-panel? Because that's one of the things I *really* hate about
> the gnome-panel. Run a bunch of 'plugins' and your memory usage rises
> to incredible heights.
>
> I hope I'm wrong, but if not then I strongly discourage you to do this.
>
> Please don't bloat XFCE... :(

Yes, it is exactly that and I'm going to add _support_ for it, not mandate its
use. In-process plugins will still be available.

I saw the memory consumption as well, and I do wonder if most of the memory
footprint isn't in the shared libraries, which should be, well, shared.

I agree that the limited use of resources is our main selling point.

	Jasper