Panel Plugins for 4.4

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Wed Jun 29 03:21:18 CEST 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:37:12 +0200
Nicolas Masse <masse_nicolas at yahoo.fr> said:

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:30:42 -0400
> Ori Bernstein <rand_chars at rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:51:43 +0200
> > Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> said:

> > Some other plugins I'd like to see:
> > -  some form of "drop box", where drag data can be stored temporarily (but I
> > don't know how well this would work)
> >
> > - a "launcher" plugin, which is exactly the same as the current one, but uses
> > the appfinder to select the item to launch.
>
> I think the best way to do this would be by using some kinds of drag and drop <snip>

That's very nice, but it's also somewhat nonobvious, and it's more consistent
for the user if "applications" would be added to the panel the same way other
items are.

> > and *MAYBE*
> > - Make the launcher launch only one item, and create a general "drawer" item
> > that will take any panel plugin. (This, I guess, would imply an "is-visible"
> > status that the panel would have to check)
>
> I don't know if it's me but I didn't unserstood what you mean here.

Currently, in the svn panel, the "launcher" plugin allows you to add more than
one launcher to the panel item (right-click, properties, add). I'm suggesting
splitting the ability to add multiple launchers into 2 plugins - a drawer
plugin that contains multiple panel plugins, and a launcher plugin which, when
clicked, launches a single application. This is both (IMO)simpler, and more
flexible.

--
"When you are in it up to your ears, keep your mouth shut."