Fwd: Trac

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 21:05:04 CEST 2005

Dropping this to the Dev list, since gmail got me all confused before.
Sorry if you get it twice.

Semi Off Topic, I'd just like to throw this little piece of software
out onto the table for evaluation.

http://www.edgewall.com/trac/

Trac is an integrated project management tool. I've heard it called
the best reason to switch to subversion, due to it's way of
interfacing with SVN.

Trac integrates a web based SVN viewer, a ticket tracking system, and
a wiki. The ticket tracking system is much like Bugzilla light - it
misses some bugzilla features but is extremely easy to use. We picked
it over bugzilla because without any customization it was easy enough
for our sales reps to be able to add features requests and bug
tickets.

Wiki syntax is simple and pervasive. For example, #21 would link to
ticket number 21. This is handy, as Trac will run your subversion
commit logs through the wiki processor if you view those commit
messages in their web based subversion browser. So very natural commit
messages like "Fixes bug #21" creates a link to bug number 21. Handy.

Trac has some deficiencies, I will admit, but we love it here at work.
I'm not sure if it's a match for Xfce, but if it was, I'd love to be
able to use it. And if not, I'm sure there are some of us who might
find it useful for personal projects, so I'm at least spreading the
word.

--
"This brings me back to a time where I had no worries.
All I needed to do was watch Perfect Strangers."