E17 benchmarks

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Thu Jun 9 21:34:50 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 12:24 -0700, Don Christensen wrote:

[...]

> I would generally agree with you, but the problem is one of
> perception.
> Unfortunately, benchmark numbers have been published (loosely
> speaking)
> that show Xfce to have abysmal performance compared with a whole host
> of other WMs/DEs.  How many users are not even going to try Xfce if
> they see those numbers?

Well, there is not much we can do about that anyway.

> I think that making the intelligent window placement a selectable
> option would be relatively easy and could help with benchmarks.
> And heck, someone might even prefer the non-intelligent placement
> behavior.

Actually, I'm really considering removing the smart placement. Not
because it makes things slower, but because I come to the conclusion
that when I run an application, I expect it to appear where my eyes
look, and that's generally in the middle of the screen...

I sometimes have to search the new windows because they are placed
around.

So I'm thinking of an different algorithm, a lot simpler, and more
"usable".

Cheers,
Olivier.