Change mouse cursor theme in Xfce?

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Thu Jul 7 11:17:57 CEST 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Redirecting to xfce4-dev...
>
> Pasi Orovuo wrote:
>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Instead of repeating the question in the subject, I'm trying to provide
>>>an answer. The solution is a bit hackish, but seems to work. So, point
>>>your browser to:
>>>http://medusa.tutka.fi/~pasi/xfce4_mcs_cursor_plugin.tar.gz
>

> Ok, I added this to a new tab the current mouse settings panel, and
> changed a bunch of stuff.  I like how you used GtkIconView, but that's
> GTK 2.6 only, so, I got rid of that and did something less fun.  When
> GTK 2.8 comes out, it should support changing cursor themes on the fly
> without restarting the session.
>
> This also requires an extra line in your xinitrc, so to make this work
> properly, you also need to merge in xfce-utils/scripts/xinitrc from SVN
> trunk.
>
> Let me know how this works for everyone...

Hm, hardcoding the paths to the icons directories doesn't look like a
good idea to me. XfceResource has support for discovery of icons
directories.

http://xfce.org/documentation/api-4.2/libxfce4util/libxfce4util-Resource-lookup-functions.html#XfceResourceType

If there's some required directory, this should be added to the default
list in libxfce4util, instead of hardcoding the stuff into the
application, which makes it hard for a package maintainer to discover
the places that need fixing.

> 	-brian

Benedikt
--