xffm

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Jan 31 08:48:21 CET 2005

edscott wilson garcia wrote:

>El sáb, 29-01-2005 a las 18:34 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone escribió:
>

>>>Xfce doesn't have to be a geek toy. The new features added to GTK+ 2.6
>>>have long been present in KDE, and some in GNOME. A few of these
>>>features were moved from the GNOME libraries into GTK+.  GtkIconView
>>>is one,  it's a very useful widget and one that Xffm badly needs (I
>>>believe an icon view for xffm is already being worked on). Trying to
>>>navigate a huge filing system like Linux with a single
>>>expandable/collapsable file tree is cumbersome (very OS/2-ish) and not
>>>very user friendly.  (Sorry, no offence intended.)
>>>

>>Well, for this specific example, perhaps Xffm should be moved out of the
>>Xfce core and have its own release schedule?  That way, Edscott can
>>depend on whatever makes the most sense for Xffm, and not be tied into
>>the core Xfce desktop's requirements, which, IMHO, shouldn't be complex
>>enough to need too many advanced features.  Something that's considered
>>a "core" should be just that, a core.  Having said that, a desktop icons
>>plugin/extension for Xfdesktop would certainly need some kind of icon
>>view, so the "core" line is a bit blurred.
>>

>Bit OT, but xffm does not require more than 2.2 for the iconview, so it
>does not have any special requirements in this sense.
>
>But yes, the xffm treview front-end is much too geeky and not too
>appealing to the ordinary user. This should change with a simpler
>iconview as the "core" front-end. Local file operations should be core,
>maybe not other stuff like smb-network (which can be packaged separately
>since it is a plugin).

To be honest, I still haven't been able to work out how to use xffm and
I'm a geek :-)
I felt it was my duty to read the documentation. After having read it,
xffm still doesn't fit with my brain... (no offense, edscott, your brain
must be much superior :-))
Is there any more standard file manager that people can recommend for
use with xfce?

David