GTK+ target version [WAS Re: new dev branch stuff]

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Sun Jan 30 17:53:28 CET 2005

El dom, 30-01-2005 a las 07:59 +0000, Jeff Franks escribió:
> edscott wilson garcia wrote:
>
> >Don't need 2.6 for the iconview. The latest cvs already has small and
> >fast implementation, gtk-2.2 compatible. Also, the treeview within gtk-2
> >is slow and buggy, with tons of extra bloat you cannot get rid of, so
> >for the next release the default will probably the faster iconview.
> >

> >>Xfce has a lot going for it and deserves a wider audience. Xfce 4.2 got
> >>some very good write-ups because of the improvments you guys made. I
> >>think targeting GTK+ 2.6 would be a good for Xfce in the long run,
> >>especially xffm.
> >>

> >No offence here, but you could check out the current CVS development
> >status before making a claim like the above about xffm.
> >

> Most everyday users tend to use the latest stable release, not CVS
> modules. Talking as a user, I was referring to the latest stable
> release, 4.2.0, which if I'm not mistaken has no icon view. Many
> distributions (FC3) are still using 4.0.6. FC4 will most likely use
> 4.2.x so it could be a 1 to 2 years before your CVS module ever reaches
> main  stream. By that time GTK+ 2.6 will really be old.
>
> The point I wanted to make was - Xfce is currently at the beginning of
> what could be a long 4.4 development cycle. I think it is more realistic
> to target the latest stable GTK+ release at the beginning of that
> development cycle because come the end, that latest release will have
> been superseded, twice. XFce 4.2 targets GTK+ 2.2, but 2.6 is now the
> latest release. I think there are seveal good features and improvements
> in 2.6 that Xfce could make use of. That was all.

I don't disagree with you on that. I only wanted to make clear that the
iconview in xffm does not (and most probably will not) require gtk-2.6.
That's all.

Other features available for treeviews in 2.4, such as row filtering,
has already been implemented in xffm since 4.0 in a more efficient
manner. But the treeview front-end has reached the end of it's
development period, so nothing of this will be used either.

regards,

Edscott