Slow xfrun, [was: new dev branch stuff]

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Sun Jan 23 18:23:12 CET 2005

El dom, 23-01-2005 a las 10:48 -0500, Antonio SJ Musumeci escribió:
> a.out can be linked dynamically. elf can be linked statically. ld doesnt
> "fall back" to static if it cant find the dynamic library. Nor the
> opposite. cpp is the C preprocessor... not the c++ compiler.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_file_format

I generate elf format on my box and use -lm frequently with no problems
although I do not have any libm.so. So, if you specify -lm, since ld
does not "fall back" to libm.a, the default must be static, then?

Further, I never said elf format could not be linked statically, that
would be daft. If a.out can now be linked dynamically, I stand
corrected, but AFAICR, linux kernel 1.x was a.out format. The move with
kernel 2.0 to elf format was for a good reason: the ability to load
modules dynamically. Back then a.out was not dynamically linkable. Maybe
now it is, from what you found out. Dynamic linking for the i86
architecture did not appear until the last decade of the past century
(which sounds like a long time ago, but is not).

cpp might be a preprocessor, and in GNU, so is g77. But this not
necessarily applies everywhere. There are many fortran compilers out
there which are true compilers.

Even so, that is a moot point, since you must invoke the preprocessor to
compile c++, which brings us back to the point where it is entirely
plausible for ld to know what language the code is being linked from
when the executable is created, which was the point being discussed.
Nothing more. That, of course, if you do not invoke ld directly.

edscott wilson garcia <edscott at xfce.org>