Slow xfrun, [was: new dev branch stuff]

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Jan 23 03:27:28 CET 2005

edscott wilson garcia wrote:

>El sáb, 22-01-2005 a las 12:04 +0200, Mihai Bazon escribió:
>

>>On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:50:32 -0600, edscott wilson garcia
>><edscott at xfce.org> wrote:
>>

>>>Will do, as soon as I get back to the city on monday (as I am on the
>>>road now).
>>>

>>Great! :-)

>>>If it is a library located in /some/directory, and called libhdf5.a, you
>>>would simply write:
>>>
>>>$cc -o program -c program.c -L/some/directory -lhdf5
>>>

>>Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this the way you link dynamically?
>>

>I believe the default for C is static. Maybe for C++ the default is
>dynamic.  If you use the -static directive you might have problems if
>you want to link to *both* static and dynamic libraries at the same time
>(different libraries, of course).

nope.  ld's default is to prefer dynamic libraries, at least with recent
binutils versions.  i don't think it has anything to do with the
lanugage used (how would ld know anyway?  it just works with object
files).  if you want to link to the static library, you have to
explicitly give it the .a filename.  i don't think you need to specify
-static though.  i think you can be more flexible if using libtool: in
that case you just give it the .la file, and tell it to prefer static or
dynamic.  i don't remember exactly how to do this though.

    -brian