Slow xfrun, [was: new dev branch stuff]

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Sat Jan 22 02:50:32 CET 2005

El vie, 21-01-2005 a las 18:09 +0200, Mihai Bazon escribió:
> Edscott,
>
> Actually gmrun is implemented as a replacement for a GtkEntry (that
> is, it's a full new widget; I called it GtkCompletionLine).  It's main
> purpose is to allow file completion from $PATH or from filesystem,
> maintains history and allows history search pretty much like bash, and
> it emits some custom signals when certain keys are pressed (i.e.
> ENTER, CTRL-ENTER, etc.).  The main function catches those signals and
> do the actual "execute" task.

Pretty much like the libcombo plugin, and very different as well. I
believe it could fit very well into the minicommand line panel plugin
with very little effort.

> So I believe that it should be pretty simple to integrate.  It's main
> problem is that it uses a lot of static variables (I was in a big
> rush) so most probably 2 GtkCompletionLine-s won't run well together
> in the same app; for the purpose of a run application, this limitation
> was OK.
>
> Anyway, I'm awfully busy so I couldn't work on it for now :-( OTOH,
> gmrun is doing well for me and I don't need xfrun.  :-)  Should you
> decide to take a look, the main page is at
> www.bazon.net/mishoo/gmrun.epl

Will do, as soon as I get back to the city on monday (as I am on the
road now).

> And, how do you link static?  I tried with LDFLAGS="-static" but it
> doesn't work (lots of error at link phase); have to admit, I didn't
> dig it too much.

If it is a library located in /some/directory, and called libhdf5.a, you
would simply write:

$cc -o program -c program.c -L/some/directory -lhdf5

If you use the function fabs() in your code, for example, you need to
include math.h and link to the C math library. With math you want speed,
so this library always (AFAIK) links in static, thus libtool does not
change the -lm flag for anything else.

If you are using libtool and all the automake parafernalia, well, I
haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure you just eliminate the
@LIBXFCEGUI4_LIBS@ from the _LDADD variable and add something like
-lxfcegui4 instead (supposing you installed libxfcegui4 to a system
directory). The static library for libxfcegui4 is built and installed by
default. This is not true for all libraries so it's a good idea to check
first if a static version exists.

warm regards,

Edscott