Slow xfrun, [was: new dev branch stuff]

Mihai Bazon mihai.bazon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:17:14 CET 2005

Well, first off, gmrun shows too what you're going to run--it shows
all possible completions and you can easily select one with
TAB/SHIFT-TAB or UP/DOWN.  Completion also works for executable names
found in $PATH and for filesystem files (if you start with / or ~).
It also works to complete more words (i.e. you type "em<TAB>" and you
get emacs, then <SPACE> and then you can type a file name using
completion too).  It really is very powerful--give it a try, but
beware it creates dependency.  8-)

Instead of libcombo (I don't know if there were such thing 3 years
ago), it uses a plain GTK entry and a custom window with no
decorations and a list inside for the completions list.

OTOH, gmrun is implemented in C++ which I presume is a big problem if
you want to link it with xfrun.  I never touched the code in gmrun for
1.5 years or so :-( but for me it's as good as it gets and I don't
feel like rewriting it in plain C (though I thought about it because
it would improve startup performance).

What could do well (perhaps it helps in xfrun too) is trying to
statically link the binary.  But it seems it's a pain to do this with
GTK programs (I never managed to).

Cheers,
-Mihai

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:00:31 -0600, edscott wilson garcia
<edscott at xfce.org> wrote:
> El jue, 20-01-2005 a las 20:35 +0100, Ondrej Mihalyi escribió:
>

> > I don't know if there is something special about xfrun4 apart from other similar applications that launch programs, but I thought you could have a look at "gmrun", which is I believe more lightweight than xfrun4 and provides more features (shell completion (!!!) on Tab, support for shell commands), basically is executes everything as if you write it into the terminal
> >

> Many people find the shell tab completion very useful, but others are in
> some manner limited in this respect. Those other people (like me) cannot
> quite "get it". You require good short term memory to know what is going
> to popup up when you press tab. But if your thing is rather long term
> than short term (I can't remember if I shut the door or not), then it is
> helpful to *see* the suggestion written out (like completion in the
> firefox location box). That's why xfrun uses the libcombo.so plugin
> which behaves this way. I suppose it would be a good thing to be able to
> instruct xfrun by the mcs-manager to do shell-completion or
> browser-completion. That would require making Mihai's gmrun
> shell-completion code a plugin that can be loaded instead. Since only
> one module would be loaded, this would not affect performance. Maybe
> Mihai would help us with the shell-completion part? I believe this fits
> well into Benny's fourth category.
>

> --
> edscott wilson garcia <edscott at xfce.org>

Mihai Bazon,