Slow xfrun, [was: new dev branch stuff]

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Fri Jan 21 01:00:31 CET 2005

El jue, 20-01-2005 a las 20:35 +0100, Ondrej Mihalyi escribió:

> I don't know if there is something special about xfrun4 apart from other similar applications that launch programs, but I thought you could have a look at "gmrun", which is I believe more lightweight than xfrun4 and provides more features (shell completion (!!!) on Tab, support for shell commands), basically is executes everything as if you write it into the terminal

Many people find the shell tab completion very useful, but others are in
some manner limited in this respect. Those other people (like me) cannot
quite "get it". You require good short term memory to know what is going
to popup up when you press tab. But if your thing is rather long term
than short term (I can't remember if I shut the door or not), then it is
helpful to *see* the suggestion written out (like completion in the
firefox location box). That's why xfrun uses the libcombo.so plugin
which behaves this way. I suppose it would be a good thing to be able to
instruct xfrun by the mcs-manager to do shell-completion or
browser-completion. That would require making Mihai's gmrun
shell-completion code a plugin that can be loaded instead. Since only
one module would be loaded, this would not affect performance. Maybe
Mihai would help us with the shell-completion part? I believe this fits
well into Benny's fourth category.

--
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at xfce.org>