get on d-bus!

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Jan 21 09:16:21 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 06:54:23PM -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> right, so no one actually answered the question i cared most about.  can
> i depend on d-bus for xfdesktop in CVS?  call me lazy, but reinventing
> the IPC wheel with a unix socket just bores the hell out of me.

Well, you'd still have to decide on the messages to support, etc. I doubt if
it would be much different. But, I do agree that a unified IPC mechanism would
be very good for Xfce.

I'm hoping that we can make some kind of framework to make Xfce fully
scriptable (xfce3 had that I think, by using fvwm style modules). Anyway,
that's a bit off-topic.

So, I think it would be a good idea to use D-Bus. I would like to hear
Benedikt opinion too, since he has most experience with it.

	Jasper