new dev branch stuff

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Wed Jan 19 10:02:21 CET 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:57:26PM -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> hi all,
>
> so HEAD is open again for major b0rkage.  i'd like to discuss a couple
> things.  let the flamewar begin.
>
> 1) what's our new gtk target for xfce 4.4?  gtk 2.4?

If we plan for august, which was mentioned on IRC, then maybe we could aim for
2.6 even?

> 2) are we going to officially depend on d-bus?  i'd like to add
> command-line remote control support to xfdesktop, and i really don't
> feel like doing something lame like a named pipe or unix socket.  yes, i
> know the d-bus API isn't finalised, and i know the glib bindings aren't
> completely finished.  benny has more expertise in this area, so i'd be
> interested in hearing his opinion.  methinks that the only thing that
> *really* matters is that the wire protocol is frozen.  if the API isn't
> frozen, we may have to fudge with some #ifdefs, but hopefully it'll be
> frozen by the time 4.4.0 goes gold.

I don't think named pipes or e.g. X messages are necessarily bad. Still a good
question though. For xfdesktop alone I wouldn't like to depend on d-bus, but
if we are going to use if for an improved configuration system, then I'm all
for it. Benny, what are your plans on that?

> 3) autogenerated files in CVS.  they are a pain.  i want to remove
> them.  jasper already has for the panel.  jasper is smart.  jasper has a
> ph.d.  therefore we should all do as jasper does.  (am i embarassing you
> yet?)

Yes, thank you ;) As I said to benedikt on IRC, I would really like to try
this and see how it works. Although not the best argument, most other projects
work like this as well.

> that's all for now.

Why stop so soon ;-)

I think it would be a good idea if all devs would write down a couple of
things they like to do for 4.4, so that we can maybe even have some kind of
unofficial roadmap.

Another thing is module organization. I know I've talked about this before,
but nothing ever really happened. I have already hijacked the taskbar, the
iconbox and the systray plugin and made them part of the panel source.

Ok, let's see:

* libxfce4mcs, libxfce4util, libxfcegui4
  I thouhgt maybe we could combine them into one module, but it's ok as it is
  as well.

* xfce-mcs-*, xfce4-session, xfdesktop, xfce4-panel, xfwm4, xffm,
  Main desktop components. Keep as they are.

* gtk-xfce-engine-2, xfce4-icon-theme, xfwm4-themes
  Theme stuff. Probably fine as it is now.

That's the easy stuff, now the rest.

* xfce-utils
* xfcalendar
* xfce4-appfinder
* xfce4-mixer
* xfce4-terminal
* xfce4-toys
* xfce4-trigger-launcher
* xfprint

We have utilities and scripts and user documentation. One thing we could
do is combine them all into xfce-utils, but perhaps that would be a bit
too much.

xfce4-toys should go. The tips can go in xfce-utils and xfce4-eyes-plugin can
be moved to xfce-goodies. xfce4-trigger-launcher I think should go to
xfce-goodies as well.

xfce4-terminal, hmm, difficult, do we want to compete with Terminal?

xfce4-mixer and xfprint both could be separate modules.

xfcalendar needs a new or additional maintainer and should be part of
xfce-utils I think.

xfce4-appfinder can also be part of xfce-utils.

What do you think?

	Jasper