Xfce Text Editor

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 19:52:24 CET 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:49:11 +0100, Bernhard Walle
<bernhard.walle at gmx.de> wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:
> > I have been fiddling with the Leafpad text editor, and now have a
> > version for Xfce. Other than some minor code cleanups, the 0.0.5
> > version has two features over the last release of Leafpad
> >
> > * No hardcoded config file location, and location is now XDG compliant
> > * Printing support
> [...]
>
> I tried out the text editor very quickly. Let me make a few comments.
>
> Basically, I like the idea of a text editor for Xfce. But it should stay
> simple, somethink like Notepad is on MS Windows (well, not *that* simple
> ;-)). So: No Macro Language or Plugin API or somethink like that. I
> think even syntax highlighting should not be in a simple text editor.
> There are good text editors for Linux, like gvim, Emacs, NEdit or jEdit.
> There are IDEs like Anjuta or KDevelop.

Well, that's the plan. Though I have occasionally contemplated a
really simple plugin kinda dealy. But probably not. Maybe tabs, just
because I use them so much.

> When Xfce has an text editor, I use it for tasks like reading text files
> (such as "less" on console) and writing a few notes. It should start
> quickly and it should be easy to handle. That's it. :-)

Well, Leafpad fit that bill really. Until I needed to print out some
documents. Suddenly, opening Abiword to do that seemed like a big
hassle. Hence mousepad

> Regards,
> Bernhard
>
> --