Xfce Text Editor

Bernhard Walle bernhard.walle at gmx.de
Tue Jan 18 18:49:11 CET 2005

Erik Harrison wrote:
> I have been fiddling with the Leafpad text editor, and now have a
> version for Xfce. Other than some minor code cleanups, the 0.0.5
> version has two features over the last release of Leafpad
>
> * No hardcoded config file location, and location is now XDG compliant
> * Printing support
[...]

I tried out the text editor very quickly. Let me make a few comments.

Basically, I like the idea of a text editor for Xfce. But it should stay
simple, somethink like Notepad is on MS Windows (well, not *that* simple
;-)). So: No Macro Language or Plugin API or somethink like that. I
think even syntax highlighting should not be in a simple text editor.
There are good text editors for Linux, like gvim, Emacs, NEdit or jEdit.
There are IDEs like Anjuta or KDevelop.

When Xfce has an text editor, I use it for tasks like reading text files
(such as "less" on console) and writing a few notes. It should start
quickly and it should be easy to handle. That's it. :-)

Regards,
Bernhard