Xfce Foundation Classes 4.3.0-Test1

Jeff Franks jcfranks at tpg.com.au
Wed Jan 19 00:27:11 CET 2005

Hello guys,

Congratulations on a job well done! Xfce 4.2 looks very good and runs
like a charm. I'd forgotten just how good it was until I installed a
vanilla version of FC3 to test RPM builds on, and ran Xfce 4.0.6. Well
I've been busy too, trying to make good on my proposal, and I now can.
Here are the first testing tarballs for you all to consider:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gfc/xfccore-4.3.0-test1.tar.bz2?download
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gfc/xfcui-4.3.0-test1.tar.bz2?download

The code inside these tarballs is not a full distribution release but
rather the code as it would appear in the CVS, so you will have to run
'autogen.sh' first and then 'configure'. To properly build the
documentation from this state requires Doxygen and Perl, which I'm sure
you already have in your /usr/bin. The source code tree is essentially
stable, because remember, it was the code for the stable GFC 2.4
release, which never happened. I'm very pleased with what's in the
tarballs because I've done everything I'd wanted to do when I first made
my proposal. Here's a short list:

*  I made the code changes suggested by Brian.
*  I finished the NEW documentation, all accessible from the
    new main page <docs/index.html>. The documentaton uses
    the same color scheme as the Xfce4 documenation.
*  The documentation includes a FAQ, numerous  HOWTOs
    an API reference and a completely new tutorial.
*  The tutorial is designed so that it can be easily packaged
    separately or linked to online from news articles and such, as
    an advertisement for the library.
*  The makefiles and build options are similar to Xfce4. Running 'make dist'
    or 'make rpm' work flawlessly. The spec files are based on Xfce4's
    and are for FC3, because of the 'libsigc++20'  binary and devel
    prefixes. Some other distributions use libsigc++2, and MDK
    uses libsigc++-2.0_0 (confusing).
*  These libraries are for GTK+ 2.4. As they're in CVS I can get started on
    writing classes for the new GLib and GTK 2.6 objects.

The links in the documentation bewteen Xfc-Core and Xfc-UI are relative
to the installation directory, so some links wont work when run from the
source directory. I suggest you install the libraries into your home
directory, at least. The files will install into the following
directories (and uninstall):

datafiles => $PREFIX/share/xfc4/xfc
header files => $PREFIX/include/xfce4/xfc
xfccore libraries => e.g. $PREFIX/lib/libxfccore-4.3.so.0.0.0
xfccui libraries => e.g. $PREFIX/lib/libxfcui-4.3.so.0.0.0
xfccore docs => $PREFIX/share/doc/xcfcore-4.3
xfcui docs => $PREFIX/share/doc/xfcui-4.3

Well that's it, now the rest is up to you. You need to have look at the
XFC libraries and decide how you actually want to integrate them into Xfce.

Congratulations again on Xfce 4.2.
Regards,
Jeff Franks.