[RELEASE] 4.2.0 announcements and preliminary tarballs

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Jan 9 18:48:41 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> To make 4.2.0 a perfect release its necessary to coordinate the
> announcements, cause thats the first thing most new users will read and
> it makes up the initial impression, which is important to gain
> perfection :-). We'll therefore coordinate who sends an announcement to
> which news site. See the releng page for news sites that are already
> covered by other users, and drop me a short note if you want to send an
> announcement to another site. When sending the announcement, please use
> the official text (from the releng page, the announcement will be marked
> "official" when done) or a translated version and be sure to wait until
> the xfce.org website is updated and a mail about Xfce 4.2.0 has been
> sent to xfce4-dev@/xfce at xfce.org.

I forgot to mention the website! There are two things that would be very
good to have for 4.2.0:

  a) all website translations should be up-to-date
     Please send a mail to Francois Le Clainche if you
     want to help in translating the website.

  b) Screenshots from both developers and users
     This is very important, as screenshots are the first
     thing many new users look at, when a new version of
     a desktop environment is released.
     So, please send your Xfce 4.2 screenshots to Francois
     Le Clainche - please don't send 4.0 screenshots, as
     thats not really helpful now. ;-)

In case you need some motivation: Your name will be listed on the
Credits page if you help us. ;-)

I think it would be good to have the `offline' version of the website
mostly ready by 2005/01/15, so only minor fixes and updates needs to be
done on D-Day.

regards,
Benedikt

PS: Francois, please send a short mail if there's anything else, where
others can help you (concerning the website).