Terminal Feature Request

KnX knx at firstream.net
Wed Feb 9 15:08:45 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>>> Well, I *am* a geek. :) I often work on one terminal while referring
>>> to the output of another one. Having a split-screen is merely the
>>> most efficient way to do this.
>>

>> I'm no geek, but I my usual work scenario is pretty similar to yours
>> (tho, not necessary limited to terminal windows). What makes me wonder
>> is: Why use fullscreen then, instead of having multiple windows share
>> the available screen area?
>>
>>> Another way to achieve this would be if xfwm4 implemented Window Tiling.
>

> Hm, somehow I read "Window Tabbing" here.
>
> "Window Tiling", hm, dunno if Olivier will want to implement it...

I don't know if you understand "Window Tiling" as me, but a "simple" way
of sticking the border of one window to another permanently ( i mean
even if you move one of the two windows) could be enough.

For example, if you move the window with right-click instead of left and
you window stick to another one, they'll be attached now when you'll
move them with the normal left click, and detachable with the
right-click move. ( this way users who don't use/want this feature won't
even notice it exists ). A problem still exists if you shade one of the
two windows, should the other one stay open and still be attached,
should all of them shade ( which may look odd in fact ) ...

I don't know xfwm4 well enough to know if it could be easily done also.