How should XFC actually be integrated into Xfce?

Jeff Franks jcfranks at tpg.com.au
Fri Feb 4 02:18:45 CET 2005

Thanks Olivier, Brian,  Biju and Jens,

There are some things I needed to get your input on but thought I'd
better check that everything was still 'go' first.

How should XFC actually be integrated into Xfce?
======================================
I have two source trees on my hard disk, one that wraps up to GTK+ 2.4
(code, docs and tarball/RPM packaging finished), and one that wraps up
to GTK+ 2.6 (code finished, just have to update the docs and examples).
The XFC source that wraps GTK+ 2.4 is essentially ready to go into the
CVS, but first I need to decide on its CVS module and library names. The
names used in part will depend on the way in which XFC is integrated
into Xfce.

Considering the recent discussions on what should be included in the
Xfce4 core desktop, and the touted changes (merging) for the CVS
modules, I was wondering if XFC would be better kept as a separate Xfce
sub-project, like Xfce Goodies, with its own CVS and web site (possibly
at xfc.sourceforge.net), and its own release cycle. Since XFC is a
development library, its release cycle needs to be kept one step ahead
of the programmers that will use it. XFC will need to make frequent
alpha and beta releases independently of any Xfce4 release so that its
source code can reach a stable state.

Does XFC really need to be is tightly integrated into Xfce4? The Xfce4
desktop wont actually use it. Can XFC get the usage that would be needed
to develop a stable source base if a stable XFC release only occurred
with every Xfce4 stable release. For example, the GNOME platform
bindings are developed separately but are released together as a single
package with every GNOME release.

Regards,

Jeff.