New file manager (WAS Re: xffm)

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Feb 2 12:40:58 CET 2005

Maybe I should clear this up a bit... there are two things playing:

1. Xfce should stay lean and mean.

2. Xfce should be a sufficiently usable Desktop Environment

these two ideals conflict, and one way or another you're gonna sacrifice
parts of either ideal to make it work...

*** HOWEVER ***

The current design ideals of the developers group is striving to a very
acceptable compromise, which stems from the fact that Xfce is extremely
modular. While not everyone will remove xfdesktop/xftaskbar etc from
their xfce build, the future versions of xfce will (still) allow you to
run xfwm4 separately, or just xfce4-panel. Nothing like that will change!

Now, for those people out there that use Xfce heavily and have some
better hardware (and want to use it with as much comfort as possible
without booting KDE), it would be very benifical if they could have
quick and easy access to their files without starting konqueror or nautilus.

ROX may be popular, but just doesn't give the feel people are looking
for. Most prominently, there are two big missing features that people
are *looking* for in Xfce. The 'demand' will be filled with a 'supply',
no matter how much you want to stop it. Rox fills this gap for some
people but somehow it won't make it into Xfce and there are good reasons
fo this.

It's up to the Xfce crew to take this task up to themselves, and provide
a solution that fits with their opinion of what Xfce should *give* you.
You don't need to take all of it tho, we're not gonna shove some
programs in your throat and make it required to run other components of
Xfce.

The guys have taken up this task very seriously, and the design
documents and ideas that they have produced show to me that they are
very capable of producing something that almost
100% of all Xfce users will embrace and promote. The rest will run Xfce
happily without some of the new components, or not even install them.

I hope you realize that *YOU* will have the choice because you *CAN*
make the choice on this one, and that is something that other DE's fail
to provide to you. (If I sound scary like RMS to you than that's intended).

sofar