shortcut manager and session manager

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed Dec 28 16:57:51 CET 2005

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>

>>That's the expected behaviour. The xfce-mcs-manager itself should not
>>register with the session manager (well, the mcs manager should not be
>>used for anything except managing settings).

BTW, setting SESSION_MANAGER isn't enough to register an application
with the session manager, so it does not imply that the MCS manager
would connect to the session manager, that's fairly separate things
IMHO. There is no design icompatibility here.

Shortcuts are settings. The user expects to find the shortcuts editor in
the MCS manager, just like (s)he did with previous versions of xfce.

So that means that the shortcuts editor has to be kept in the MCS scope.
Making a separate application would mean writting a dummy app with no
window that would just be kept arround running to grab the keys and runs
the applications. And at startup, that application would have to read
the shortcut XML file just like the MCS manager does, That's what I
meant by waste of resources in my previous message.

Cheers,
Olivier.