shortcut manager and session manager

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Dec 28 16:43:53 CET 2005

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>>Is the env SESSION_MANAGER set? I guess not. That's because the MCS
>>manager is not started by the session manager itself.
>
> The problem lies in xfce4-session/main.c.
>
> The mcs-manager is started by init_display(), prior to setting the
> SESSION_MANAGER variable in sm_init() which is called a few lines later.
>
> Therefore the mcs-manager (and therefore all aps started from it) do not
> have visibility on the SESSION_MANAGER variable.
>
> The fix should be pretty easy, at least at first sight, but I'd prefer
> Benny, who knows his code better than I do, to fix it.

That's the expected behaviour. The xfce-mcs-manager itself should not
register with the session manager (well, the mcs manager should not be
used for anything except managing settings). I haven't checked the new
shortcuts manager, but I expected it to be a separate application, run
from the session manager. Maybe you can explain your design and why you
chose it?

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Benedikt