xfce roadmap

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri Dec 23 20:27:07 CET 2005

corrections:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:06:36 +0100, daniele favara <danjele at gmail.com> wrote:
> * xfdesktop will be deprecated when 4.4 | thunar will be released
> [fine for usability and to have "control" on root window]

no, 4.4 might include thunar, but it is unlikely that thunar will support desktop icons at that stage. 4.4 will include xfdesktop as it is right now (most likely without major changes).

> * xfmedia can use dvd:// to find the device [fine for a vm]

well, I'm not even sure about this - but I think xfmedia even has a menu where you can select to play 'DVD/CD' without ever having to remember that the vpath is something obscure like dvd://

> * it's true .. xfce devels don't like desktop icons [they're advanced
> users and don't remeber how much can help a desktop icon the first
> time you're in GNU/Linux :) ]

no, even developers would like to have desktop icons. Some may not but the generally accepted idea is that people want desktop icons and Xfce is missing it - this is why it is being worked on.

Auke