xfce roadmap

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri Dec 23 19:51:35 CET 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:41:46 +0100, daniele favara <danjele at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) desktop icons
>
> Someone told me that xfce4 devels don't like them, i personally don't
> need them but an user that boot for the first time in xfce4 will be
> lost i think.

that's a LIE - some of use "have no use for desktop icons" ;^)

seriously enough: you should follow thunar development which should (at one point) support desktop icons.

> I mean desktop icons for devices.

that would be included of course, see also Benedikt's comment

> 2) Xfedesktop and the root window
>
> i really love xfce4 but let me say ... I hate xfdesktop, esetroot is a
> small app and can control the root window much better.

then use Esetroot

> What are your plans about this ?

xfdesktop will (most likely) be retired after Thunar supports desktop icons - Brian is currently already not developing Xfdesktop anymore. Consider it "ready for disposal".

> 4) Xfmedia
>
> for a volume manager it would be really nice to play directly a dvd or
> audio-cd with xfmedia, i didn't find any option to do this.

it's already possible - xfmedia uses xine so you should be able to play "dvd://"
 directly - I've done this often enough.

Auke