Panel Settings Dialog (again)

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Mon Dec 19 20:12:06 CET 2005

Jani Monoses schreef:
>> The 4.2 way is not possible with the current plugin API and I don't
>> really like to change that.
>
> Ok, understood. But can you elaborate please, I don't know about the two
> panels' internals. How does that API affect UI moving? Aren't you
> basically moving the icon or incrementing a counter and when settled
> tell the plugin it's new position in both cases?

With the new API the plugin creates its own dialog. There's no way to
add extra options. But, more importantly, the plugin doesn't need to
have a properties dialog at all. Most or even all of them will have it,
but there is no guarantee.

>>> -I found it a bit confusing that the whole panel is occupied by the
>>> tasklist plugin if that is added, but can get used to it. Maybe a border
>>> around it as in systray would be more intuitive.
>>
>> But it would work less nicely, since you couldn't move the mouse to the
>> screen edge to hit a task button.
>
> Ok then maybe only on the sides of the taskbar where it touches other
> plugins, left/right or top/bottom depending on panel orientation ;) It
> may be too much work for little gain, it's just that at first it looks
> like empty space (i.e panel) whereas it is a plugin area.

Maybe... ;-) I understand what you mean, though. I'll think about it.

	Jasper