4.4 ETA?

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 22:44:16 CET 2005

> I'd strongly suggest *not* packaging SVN in any sort of "real" release,
> unless you're willing to take a snapshot at some point, and spend at
> least a month of heavy testing and bugfixing on your snapshot.  If you

Current ubuntu development branch is not a 'real' release. Surely it can
break and people cannot even complain too much :). That's why gnome CVS
is in current ubuntu devel and it's normal. And I would only do this if
assured that 4.4 gets out before April otherwise it's as you say,
snapshot + stabilize.

> don't do this, not only will people complain to you about any little
> instability or bug, but I'm afraid that Xfce will get a reputation as
> being unstable.  And no, it doesn't help to tell people it's a
> development version.  SVN works well enough for me and some other
> people, but there are still bugs, and it's nowhere near widely tested
> enough to be releaseable.

Works well enough for me too, but it is not yet 'released' enough to be
widely tested. Having it in a devel distro may help, it doesn't seem
like it has so many known bugs as to be too early for user feedback.

thanks
Jani