Terminal/VTE hanging problem

Myles Green rmg57 at telus.net
Tue Aug 16 20:38:52 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-16-08 at 14:08 -0400, Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 8/16/05, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> > Bernhard Walle wrote:
> > > I found a problem with VTE or Terminal and I want to ask if you can test
> > > this problem at your system, so that I can write a reasonable bugreport
> > > to VTE team (or Terminal, but I think Benny is reading this list anyway).
> > >
> > > The problem: Outputting a long text without spaces and newlines makes
> > > Terminal slow in scrolling. To test:
> > >
> > >  1. Make sure that you don't have a file test.txt in current directory.
> > >  2. wget http://www.bwalle.de/temp/test.txt
> > >  3. cat test.txt
> > >  4. Try to scroll, using scrollbars or the mouse wheel.
> > >
> > > Here, Terminal becomes very slow. I tried this with the default setup of
> > > Terminal @Home (SuSE 9.3, Athlon XP 2200) and @Work (SuSE 9.3 64 bit)
> > > and the problem is reproducable at both computers.
> >
> > Funny. Just today, a co-worker of mine reported the same problem.
> > Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce it. Works fine here. Which
> > version of Terminal do you use? The 0.2.4 release or the SVN version?
>
> I can reproduce, Terminal 0.2.4, but I generally have to scroll fast.
> Using the mousewheel it happens pretty much every time (since I want
> to get to the bottom of the output, or the beginning of the session I
> just scroll a whole bunch and let it work  itself out, ala Fitt's
> Law).
>
> Slacware 10.1, Gtk+ 2.6.1

Hmm... I can also reproduce using Terminal 0.2.5svn on an up-to-date
debian unstable. It pegs the CPU usage krell in gkrellm upon any action
in/with Terminal including scrolling, clicking on any menu on the menu
bar or right clicking inside the Terminal window. Using gnome-terminal
version 2.10.0 does not behave the same way, no pegging the CPU.

HTH,
Myles

--
Robert M. Green :: Calgary AB Canada