Terminal/VTE hanging problem

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 20:08:41 CEST 2005

On 8/16/05, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> Bernhard Walle wrote:
> > I found a problem with VTE or Terminal and I want to ask if you can test
> > this problem at your system, so that I can write a reasonable bugreport
> > to VTE team (or Terminal, but I think Benny is reading this list anyway).
> >
> > The problem: Outputting a long text without spaces and newlines makes
> > Terminal slow in scrolling. To test:
> >
> >  1. Make sure that you don't have a file test.txt in current directory.
> >  2. wget http://www.bwalle.de/temp/test.txt
> >  3. cat test.txt
> >  4. Try to scroll, using scrollbars or the mouse wheel.
> >
> > Here, Terminal becomes very slow. I tried this with the default setup of
> > Terminal @Home (SuSE 9.3, Athlon XP 2200) and @Work (SuSE 9.3 64 bit)
> > and the problem is reproducable at both computers.
>
> Funny. Just today, a co-worker of mine reported the same problem.
> Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce it. Works fine here. Which
> version of Terminal do you use? The 0.2.4 release or the SVN version?

I can reproduce, Terminal 0.2.4, but I generally have to scroll fast.
Using the mousewheel it happens pretty much every time (since I want
to get to the bottom of the output, or the beginning of the session I
just scroll a whole bunch and let it work  itself out, ala Fitt's
Law).

Slacware 10.1, Gtk+ 2.6.1

Alright, back offline to deal with family stuff. Sorry for being
incommunicado guys.

> > Regards,
> > Bernhard
>
> Benedikt

"This brings me back to a time where I had no worries.
All I needed to do was watch Perfect Strangers."
-Erik