mailwatch stability

Pasi Orovuo pasi.ov at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 08:52:20 CEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:04:22AM +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone schreef:
> >
> > Hi all (well, mainly Jasper),
> >
> > I've been using the mailwatch plugin pretty heavily for a while now, and
> > aside from the weird crash I fixed last night, I haven't had any
> > problems with it.  Sooooo... what do you think -- should it remain an
> > external package, or do you want to merge it into
> > xfce4-panel/trunk/plugins/?  I'm fine either way.  I don't imagine it
> > needs much more (if anything) in the way of features, and releasing
> > bugfixes with the panel is fine.  I'll probably do a few external
> > releases before 4.4 so people can actually use it, though.  Thoughts?
> >

> I love the plugin, for starters, and I will remove the current mail checker.
>
> The mailwatch plugin is big enough to be its own package, but it also
> should be a core component, IMO. So, in fact, I don't know what the best
> option is ;-)
>
> It doesn't depend on anything outside the panel, does it? I think it
> would be good to have all core plugins be part of the panel, but I don't
> have a very strong opinion on it.
>
> Hmm, must be an indecisive day...
>
> 	Jasper

Mailwatch does (optionally) depend on GnuTLS, which sets some
limitations. Distro maintainers (or anyone else I guess) probably don't
want the panel to depend on GnuTLS, so they'll include the plugin
without SSL support. A lot of distro users will want SSL, so either
they recompile it for themselves (plugins under ~/ would be nice) or
demand an ssl-enabled version included in the distribution, which leads
to a separate package anyway...

It would be nice to have it in the core, but because of GnuTLS it would
be better to leave it out.

Just my 0.02
-Pasi