better user interface :: XFCE

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Tue Aug 9 22:37:31 CEST 2005

Olivier Fourdan schrieb:

>On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 11:19 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>

>>Mmm, this is how a Mac works, and I don't particularly like it, though I
>>can easily see how many people would.  If someone wants to implement
>>this, at least make it optional ^_~.  Jasper linked to some KDE blog
>>posts on http://blog.xfce.org/; one of them explains exactly this
>>feature, which the guy implemented in kwin in about 10 lines of code.
>>Kinda cool.
>>

>I saw that too. I'd like to see this is real world, because I'm not sure
>all apps set their groups field right.
>

>>>Another things is a modification to the window manager (WM) so that it doesn't bring new windows to front if another window is in focus. It's quite annoying, when you type some text in a different window that you intended to because a new window just popped up and is focused.
>>>

>>There's already a setting to not focus new windows.  If you want better
>>intelligence, so it knows when you've been typing, you can enable this
>>via a hidden option (see xfwm4 docs).  It's not perfect, and requires
>>cooperation and help from the applications themselves, so it's not going
>>to work all the time.
>>

>I'm thinking of some improvements in this area. More to come :)
>
>Cheers,
>Olivier.

Hi.

I like those ideas quite a lot. The UI behaviour of graphical apps like
The Gimp
and Sodipodi is SO terrible at the moment and features like the mentioned
grouping really would increase their user-friendlyness.

Anyway, as my employee usually states: The more windows an application opens
the worse its usability is. Although I have a more differentiated
opinion on this, there's
some truth in that statement.

Regards,
Jannis