better user interface :: XFCE

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Tue Aug 9 18:27:07 CEST 2005

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:00:43 +0200, Auke Kok <sofar at lunar-linux.org> said:

> sounds like an excellent idea, as long as it allows me to put my
> evolution-mail-edit window next to my browser etc.

I'm hardly an expert on low-level X programming, but from what I remember,
there's a mechanism defined in the ICCCM for defining window groups, and
implementing this would simply raising the entire group rather than just the
window. Hopefully my memory serves me correctly...

However, if this is done, I'd also like to see the taskbar putting window
groups into one taskbar item. In other words, the item in the taskbar is the
logical unit that will be raised - the "application instance" (not really an
application instance, thanks to the way stuff like firefox work), rather than
the windows in the group.

Of course, this grouping can't be done by application, since if I raise one of
my gazillion firefox windows, I don't want all of them to be raised.