Lightweight display manager

Pasi Orovuo pasi.ov at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 13:44:28 CEST 2005

I also was at some point wandering about this, and actually took a look
into xdm to see what it's about. The main question I had in mind was
what exactly would make a display manager "Xfce". The most obvious
answer I guess is the user interface and the required libraries. In xdm
the user interface was really nicely separated from other functionality,
and the impression I got from my brief peek at it, was that it probably
would not be a too hard task for someone with time and dedication to
make the user interface have Xfce look.

For me it seems, that instead of looking at gdm (which is a direct fork
of xdm?), it would actually be easier to start with xdm. There you don't
have to deal with Gnome related stuff, and just concentrate in adding the
Xfce stuff into it. Of course using Gdm as reference wouldn't be a bad
idea.

My look at xdm was really quite brief, so I might not have the correct
view about it. But the question about what would make a display manager
"Xfce" might be worth discussing?

Regards,
Pasi