Multibyte characters in Xffm again (was Re: Xffm won't be built)

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Mon Apr 11 23:23:57 CEST 2005

El lun, 11-04-2005 a las 18:29 +0900, Daichi Kawahata escribió:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:48:10 -0500
> Edscott Wilson Garcia wrote:
>
> > > PS. It looks like xffm is getting faster compared with pre 4.3.1,
> > > feels good, only problem is drop-down menu still doesn't show my
> > > characters ...
> >
> > Try again now. Please note that your "goto" and "select workdir"
> > history is clean and must be repopulated.
>
> I've deleted files in ~/.cache/xfce4/xffm/histories/, but it doesn't
> work, one thing I noticed is whenever I inputted my chars (with non-
> UTF-8) in input form, xffm (4.3.1.17) emits warnings

You should be able to repopulate the goto history by double clicking on
the folders to be added to history. This repopulation mode was only
working for xftree4, but since 4.3.1.19 also for xfce4-fm.

>     Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 ...
>
> , sometimes
>
>     Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_get_cursor_pos:
>         assertion `index >= 0 && index <= layout->length' failed
>
> at xftree4's directory specifying (warning will be emitted per my
> typing, even on ASCII characters).

This is probably because the stuff in the input box needs to be utf-8,
and when you input as euc-jp you get the errors you see. A single
non-utf character on the line will give you errors with every next
keystroke.

In short, your file system must be utf8 and you must input japanese
characters in utf8 if you want to use the keyboard with the goto
function. If you populate by using double click, the history will work
with euc-jp, utf-8 or combined euc-jp/utf-8.

The only way to accept euc-jp for the goto input box would be to drop
support for utf8, which does not look good...

regards,

--
Edscott Wilson Garcia <edscott at xfce.org>