New to the list

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Apr 8 19:15:57 CEST 2005

Hello Joe,

Joe Crawford wrote:
> Hello. My name is Joe Crawford. I'm a big fan of Xfce, and am also a
> user interface designer.

That's a very good combination if you ask me ;-)

> I've been involved in a few open source projects, and thought I might
> be able to benefit xfce. (Which I already think is doing phenomenally
> well)

Thanks and we will certainly appreciate your input.

> Primarily I've been involved with K3d, which used to have a very shaky
> user interface, but is now working out very well, though its still
> mostly incomplete and under heavy development.
>
> Whoever is in charge around here... you could contant Timothy Shead,
> the lead developer of k3d here, Who perhaps could indicate my
> usefullness in UI development.:

Hehe, I don't think we need formal recommendations here ;-)

> tshead at k-3d.com
>
> http://k3d.sf.net    (about k3d!)
>

> I'm not a very good programmer, so I doubt I could be of any use
> coding much, but I am very good at evaluating interfaces from a end
> users perspective and developing recomendations to make things clearer
> and more intuitive. I am reasonably decent at python... but that's
> about it. C++ is pretty sketchy for me.

Well, luckily Xfce is written in plain C ;-) Anyway, doing mockups
(perhaps using glade) or simply telling us what could be improved can
already help a lot.

I was actually hoping some more people would be interested in reviewing
Xfce user interfaces and make sure they are consistent and usable. And
pretty ;-)

We don't really have any user interface guidelines, but we generally
loosely follow GNOME HIG recommendations. For me the most important
deviation is the spacing around dialogs, which I find a bit too big in
GNOME (12px), so we generally use the gtk default, which I believe is 6px.

I expect there will be a lot of new interfaces that need to be designed
for 4.4, so ideas about that are more than welcome.

	Jasper